It’s spring break for me! The weather here now is just about perfect, but let’s wait a couple of days and I’m sure that it will change. You know we are at 32 degrees one day and the next is 75! Anyway it is so nice to be off for a few days.
Our ALTA tennis season is going strong and this is what I made for the match. By the way, my partner Maria and I won! It was just a gorgeous day to be outside and I will have to say that I enjoyed every minute of the win. These Lime Squares are a winner,too! Martha Stewart just amazes me. I receive her newsletters in my email everyday. If you have not seen them go here and look at all the gorgeous stuff that she and her staff put together. I am sure that you will find something to inspire you today.
Now about these Lime Squares they are really easy to put together and very good. Be forewarned that they are tart. I love them that way, though. The hardest part of this recipe is shelling the pistachios. I just took a bowl with me while watching TV and shelled them with no problem. The rest is super simple. Don’t try to make these without the parchment paper though. Parchment paper is your friend and will make it super easy to just pull them out of the pan. No crumbs whatsoever will be wasted in the pan nor on the paper.
All of you enjoy your spring in any way that you choose, but I’m off to organize my closet and a few other spring cleaning jobs. Happy Cooking!
Lime Squares with Pistachio Graham-Cracker Crust from Martha Stewart Living
Yield: 16 servings
For the crust:
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) Butter, melted and cooled, extra for buttering the pan
- 2/3 cup shelled pistachios ( I used unsalted)
- 1 cup graham-cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
For the filling:
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush the bottom of 8-inch square baking pan with melted butter. This will help keep the parchment paper in place. Line the bottom with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides.
- In a food processor, finely grind pistachios with graham-cracker crumbs, sugar, and zest. Blend in melted butter.
- Press mixture into bottom and 1 inch up the sides of the pan. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool crust for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk. Add lime juice; whisk until smooth. Pour filling into cooled crust: Carefully spread to edges.
- Bake until set about 15 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a rack.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- Using the parchment paper overhand lift the bars from the pan.
- On a cutting board using a serrated knife cut into 16 slices. These are very rich. To serve my tennis team I cut each slice again making 32 small servings. Wipe the blade between each cut.
- One Year Ago Pinto Beans in the Slow Cooker
- Two Years Ago Strawberry Stacks
- Three Years Ago The Great American Bake Sale