Here is just the dessert that you have been looking for. It is light, easy to make , and delicious. Any novice cook can put strawberry stacks together with no problem. With all the juicy strawberries that are starting to roll in there’s no better way to use them. Use your creativity. Go wild with the way that you cut out the dough, then be adventurous when you plate them.
The possibilities for these stacks are endless. Try mixing different fruits for example strawberries and blueberries would be a good combination. Or when peaches are in season mix them with blueberries. Choose fresh fruit that’s readily available. Just make sure to include the freshly whipped cream. Nothing else is quite the same.
Here are some tips for whipping cream:
- Place the bowl and beaters in the freezer before using
- Whip cream on high until it is light and fluffy
- For every cup of unwhipped heavy cream use two tablespoons of powdered sugar to sweeten the cream. Add sugar after it is a little fluffy.
- Whipped cream can be made in advance. Right before serving use a wire whisk to put some of the volume back.
- Be careful not to overwhip the cream. If this does happen, add a little more cream and whisk in by hand.
Keep these little Strawberry Stacks in the back of your mind for a quick dessert that’s easy, lovely, and delicious!
Strawberry Stacks yield 4
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (half of a 15-ounce box)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- whipped cream sweetened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Let pie crust sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Whisk egg well.
- Brush crust with the egg and sprinkle it with 1 teaspoon of the sugar.
- Cut the pie crust into 8 wedges.
- Separate the wedges on the pan so they won’t stick together when baking.
- Bake uncovered, until lightly browned, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Cap the strawberries. I use a utensil made by Pampered Chef. You can use a paring knife to remove the stem and leaves. Don’t cut the top off. They just look ugly that way. Slice them lengthwise.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar and stir. Set aside until ready to serve up to 1 hour. Stir well before serving.
- Remove the baked crust from the oven and cool for 5 minutes or until ready to serve, up to 1 hour.
- To serve place one crust wedge on each plate and spoon about 1/3 cup of strawberries and juice on top.
- Cover with whipped cream.
- Top each with a second crust wedge.
- Spoon the remaining strawberries and their juice over each serving, dividing evenly.
- Top with whipped cream.