Whoever came up with the idea of using wonton wrappers as the base of everything from lasagna to tacos is a GENIUS! These are great for parties. Anything that does not require a fork when eating is always a hit. And who doesn’t love a taco both kids and adults . These are so quick and easy that your kids can put them together. They’ll have a blast in the kitchen.
I first had Taco Cups at my neighbor Kim’s along with this. YUM! I got there early and watched her put these together in a matter of minutes and popped them in the oven for just seven minutes. She pulled them out and served. That quick and I was sold! Guests then topped them with their favorites such as this guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo and jalapenos.
What about the taco seasoning? I’ve made them with this seasoning I made from scratch and I’ve used the taco seasoning in the packet. They both are good. You choose the one that suits you.
So whether you are entertaining guests or your children this is a great recipe that you will be using time and time again.
Taco Cups inspired by Kim
Yield: 48 miniature cups
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 48 wonton wrappers
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- assorted toppings such as pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- Add taco season and a tablespoon or two of water. Stir until mixed.
- In a well greased mini muffin tin place a wonton wrapper in each cup. Push the wrapper down with fingers or a small wooden spoon.
- Place about tablespoon of seasoned meat in each wonton cup.
- Top with about tablespoon of cheese.
- Bake until golden brown about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately with assorted topping.
- As a side note here, I usually make 24 of these and freeze the extra meat.