I never dreamed in a million years that the recipe for Oatmeal Bar Cookies would be exactly as the drop cookie. That’s why I haven’t made them thinking that the texture would be more chewy when all that dough was crammed into one pan. But, I was wrong and I have wasted so much time doling out oatmeal drop cookies. Bar cookies are so much easier to bake especially when you are dealing with about 5 dozen. That was your good news. The bad news is you have to wait for them to cool before cutting them unless of course you’re just going to eat them out of the pan with a spoon. And that would be perfectly acceptable!
I lined my pan with parchment paper with a few inches hanging over the sides. This makes it easy to lift the cookies out of the pan and place them on a cutting board to cut. Now about my pan – it is a Wilton 9 x 13 inch pan that’s a little dark so I really have to be careful when baking. Either I drop the temperature by 25 degrees or cut the cooking time.
Now what about some Oatmeal Cookies that will get you in and out of the kitchen in a flash? I love this recipe and hope that you enjoy it, too.
Oatmeal Bar Cookies from Quaker Oats
Yield: 24 – 36 bars
- 1 1/4 Cup(s) (2-1/2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 3/4 Cup(s) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1 Teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon(s) Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) salt (optional)
- 1/4 Teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 3 Cup(s) Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; mix well.
- Add oats; mix well.
- Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. I lined mine with parchment paper.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
- One Year Ago Pizza Dough from Scratch
- Two Years Ago Hashbrown Casserole
- Three Years Ago Triple Chocolate Ice Cream
- Four Years Ago Blueberry Muffins with a Hint of Lemon