I have been enjoying kale for about four years now. It seems that every food magazine and food show recently is using this nutrient rich green. Just this morning I saw in my new Bon Appetit Magazine a grilled kale and apricot salad that I must try. But, now here is another wonderful recipe from Gourmet Quick Kitchen for kale that I have enjoyed at least six times and I love it! It is so easy and with the super nutritious kale you can’t go wrong. I made this dish again last Friday night with kale that this young actress brought me from her parents’ garden. It was wonderful with spicy sausage topped with shaved Pecorino Romano. Oh my gosh! By the way check out Ashley in this movie that’s just been released on HBO. What could be better – pasta, kale, and a good movie?
Ok, back to the pasta dish. It’s surprisingly flavorful with so few ingredients. I do like a bit more kale that the recipe calls for, but don’t go crazy with it. I found that crowding too much kale in the water when blanching will result in some tough kale and that’s not good. Use a large stock pot and give the kale plenty of room to cook. Any novice cook can pull this together. Try it your family will think that you slaved in the kitchen and you will not work up a sweat. Oh, I almost forgot. Kids will love this, too. Kale is a mild flavored green that kids enjoy eating.
Fettuccine with Sausage and Kale from Gourmet Quick Kitchen
Yield: 4-5 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. hot turkey or pork sausage crumbled ( I used Tennessee Pride)
- 1/2 lb. kale, tough stems and center ribs removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lb. dried fettuccine
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for serving
- Wash kale. Remove stems. Roughly chop.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over moderately high heat until it shimmers.
- Cook sausage breaking up lumps until browned, about 5 minutes.
- In a 6-8 quart pot fill about 3/4 full of water.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of salt to water and bring to a boil.
- Blanch kale by placing in boiling water for about 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Using a sieve or slotted spoon remove blanched kale to a colander to drain. DO NOT discard water!
- Return water to a boil.
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to direction on package.
- While the pasta cooks add kale to sausage and saute until tender about 5 minutes.
- Add broth to sausage and kale. Stir to scrape brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Drain pasta in a colander.
- Add pasta and just 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to the skillet and stir.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese and thin with additional cooking water if needed.
- Serve with additional cheese on top.
- Great the next day as leftovers! That is if you are lucky enough to have any.
- One year ago Pecan Turtle Bars
- Two years ago Truffle Brownies