I love macaroni and cheese prepared just about anyway except the stuff that comes in a box. I’m talking the real deal with a homemade sauce. I found one that is different, but it a good way. It’s packed with lots of nutrients and lower in calories than your regular Mac and Cheese. I love the flavor that the smoked Gouda cheese gives this dish. It’s almost like you put lots and lots of smoked bacon with none of the calories. Yes, Bacon! The spinach is a great addition and is so good with the rich and creamy cheese sauce. You should try this especially with all the fresh spinach that is available now.
Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheesefrom Cooking Light
Yield they said 4 I think 6
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup or 2 ounces shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/3 cup or 1 1/2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni ( about 2 cups uncooked)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper; stir constantly with a whisk until blended.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add cheeses. Stir until melted.
- Add chopped spinach and cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce. Stir until blended.
- Pour into a 2 quart buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until bubbly.