This recipe is a blast from the past! It is the Duncan Hines Sock It to Me Cake. What a name for a cake! If you are into music or not you probably know this line from Aretha Franklin’s song RESPECT. It was released in 1967. Then in the 70’s Laugh In used it as a catch phrase in their show. No matter how the cake got its name it’s really good. I’m not a big fan of cake mixes, but this one is worth the time. It is super easy and really good.
I like it more as a coffee cake in the morning and add a bowl of fruit and it’s the perfect breakfast. Oh yea, it freezes well, too. That is if you have any left over to freeze.
The recipe that is on the Duncan Hines cake mix now is not the original one. Here’s the original:
Sock-It-To-Me Cake from Duncan Hines
- 2 Tablespoons of Duncan Hines Classic Butter Golden Cake Mix (the rest will be used for the cake)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Duncan Hines Classic Butter Cake Mix (2 tablespoon should be used for the streusel filling)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan.
- Prepare the streusel filling.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of the cake mix with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and 1 cup finely chopped pecans. Set this aside.
- Prepare the cake.
- Mix the remaining cake mix with 4 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, 1/3 cup oil, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Beat at medium speed for about 4 minutes.
- Pour 2/3 of the cake batter in the greased and floured tube pan.
- Sprinkle with streusel filling.
- Spoon remaining batter evenly over filling.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan.
- Mix water or milk with the powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time until you get a glaze that is the right consistency to drizzle on the cake. Be careful not to add all the liquid at once.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Enjoy this easy dessert!