I am right in the middle of my winter vacation sitting here thinking I’m dwindling my precious free time away. Why is it when I have free time at home I must get a hundred things crossed off my list? Why can’t I just pretend that I am at the beach? I never make out a “To Do List” at the beach. So if you have some precious time that you don’t want to spend in the kitchen this is just the recipe for something quick and easy that will satisfy every hearty appetite.
I’ve had this recipe forever. I believe it came out of one of the Pillsbury cookbooks that you can buy at the grocery checkout counter. I think of it as upside down pizza with the crust on the top and the filling at the bottom of a cast iron skillet. It’s great right out of the oven, but I can tell you first hand that it is good reheated for breakfast! Try it and you’ll be in love with Upside Down Pizza. Here is the low down on the step-by-step instructions:
Upside Down Pizza from Pillsbury
Yield 4 servings
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes ( Just a side note here: I don’t drain the tomatoes or the mushrooms. )
- 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 ounce Big Country Biscuits Pillsbury
- 4 ounces shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In 10 inch ovenproof skillet brown sausage and onion. Drain.
- Place sausage and onion back in the skillet and add flour.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, and seasonings. Mix well. ( I do not drain the tomatoes or mushrooms, but be careful as it cooks it could spill over in your oven. The first time you make it you might want to place foil to catch any spills)
- Heat until hot and bubbly.
- Separate biscuits. Cut each biscuit into four pieces.
- Arrange biscuits over hot meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. You may not have room for all the biscuits. If crowded too much the middle biscuits will not cook.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the biscuits are nicely browned!