This is one of my most favorite side dishes. Yes, I am a lover of potatoes cooked anyway, but especially with cheese. It’s been a hit for about fifty teens after the prom. It has shown its face at several brunches and of course with most any grilled meat.
You’ll be glad to know that I have reduced the amount of fat from the original recipe without damaging its wonderful flavor. It’s just plain delicious.
I can guarantee that this recipe will get you rave reviews no matter what you serve it with and it is simple to make. One trick that will really cut down on cooking time and will eliminate serving some crunchy potatoes is thawing the potatoes for a couple of hours. Mixing solidly frozen potatoes will result in freezing the melted butter making it hard to mix and frozen potatoes take a longer time to cook. So enjoy this all summer long when you have a crowd for your next barbecue. Don’t worry if you don’t have a crowd the leftovers are great!
Here it is right before baking:
Hash Brown Potato Casserole from Gracious Goodness
Yield – 10– 12 servings
- 2 pounds frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion ( I used my small food processor)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Allow frozen potatoes to partially thaw. About 1-2 hours.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Place in a buttered 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.