I woke up this morning and found snow on my deck. That’s just wrong for March. Isn’t spring just around the corner? Well, anyway it is a good excuse to make this wonderful corn chowder from Katie Workman. I just love this cookbook that I purchased at our school book fair this year. It is filled with easy and scrumptious recipes that the whole family will enjoy. Even if you’ve got some picky eaters in your midst she handles that, too.
Corn Chowder from Katie Workman
- 4 slices bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2 – in. pieces
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- bay leaf
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups milk (1 percent, 2 percent, or whole)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- thinly sliced scallions or chives for serving
- extra crumbled bacon for serving
- Cook bacon on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- Drain bacon.
- Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of fat.
- Add butter and melt over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until it turns a golden color, about 2 minutes.
- Add onion and carrots. Cook until tender about 4 minutes.
- Add red bell pepper and thyme, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 1 minutes.
- Add potatoes, broth, bay leaf, and bacon.
- Reduce heat to medium low, let it come to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add corn and let simmer until the corn is tender about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon or a fork and mash some of the potatoes and vegetables to thicken the chowder.
- Add the milk and heavy cream. Increase the heat to medium, and cook stirring frequently until tiny bubbles form along the edge of the pot, about 7 minutes. DON’T let the soup come to a boil or it might separate.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Take out the bay leaf.
- Ladle the soup in bowls and top with bacon and chives. I added a little cheddar cheese.
This is such a good chowder!!