I have the best cake recipe for you today. It is going to knock your socks off! Don’t look at me sideways, but it’s made with a cake mix. Yes, it is true. I didn’t believe it myself when I tasted it. I just knew my friend Marilyn was lying, but no she doesn’t lie! It is like a big chewy brownie with a hint of rum, chocolate chips and nuts. Now who is not going to love it? When you take a bite you are going to think that you have died and gone to heaven – chocolate heaven that is.
Marilyn brought this cake to a book club meeting a year ago. I loved it, but didn’t get the recipe. Connie mentioned that she made it for a church auction and it went for close to $70. Everyone loves it and it is the easiest cake ever to make. So with this said I knew I should try this myself. WOW! Just close your eyes when you look at the ingredients because it is not fat-free or low-calorie. But, as I tell my students when we are talking about life changing food habits indulge yourself with a small piece and give the rest of it away if you have to! It is a go to cake recipe for any occasion.
Just a few side notes about the cake. It is very moist and will not cut easily until it cools for several hours. And about the rum… I used light rum, but dark rum will work just as well.
I just had to share these pot lifters that I received in the mail from my college friend Gloria. Her wonderful mother passed away a few years ago and Gloria is continuing some of her mom’s handiwork. Aren’t they the most beautiful things that you have ever seen? I don’t think that they will ever touch a skillet handle, but will sit on my counter to remind me of the love of a great friend! Thank you Gloria for all the great memories!
And the recipe please.
Chocolate Chip Rum Cake from Marilyn
Ingredients for cake:
- 1 box Yellow Cake mix ( I used Duncan Hines Butter Golden)
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding (3.9 oz)
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 12 oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate chips
Ingredients for glaze:
- 1 Tablespoon rum
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a tube pan or a bundt pan. I used a tube pan.
- Combine cake mix, pudding, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1/4 cup rum, 4 eggs, and 1/2 cup oil.
- Stir in 1 cup sour cream. Mix well.
- Add nuts and chocolate chips. The batter will be stiff.
- Pour into a bundt or tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes. I cooked mine 60 minutes.
For the glaze:
- In a saucepan, combine butter, sugar, 1 tablespoon rum, and water.
- Heat until sugar dissolves.
- When the cake is done use a toothpick or a cake tester and punch holes in the cake while still in the pan.
- Pour the glaze over the cake.
- Cool for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan
- One Year Ago: A Taste of New York
- Two Years Ago: Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
- Three Years Ago: Blueberry Pancakes with Honey