Look no further for I have found the perfect breakfast muffin! It is healthy and taste fabulous. Yes, I would put it right up there with the best banana nut bread I have ever made. It is just that good!
When bananas start to go bad I peel them and place in a freezer bag. The freezer does some kind of magic to the bananas. It’s almost like the best banana liqueur that exists. In other words freezing really develops their flavor. Frozen bananas that were calling out to me, “Use Me, Use Me!” started this whole search for a recipe using bananas, buttermilk, and bran buds. This is what I found.
Combining bananas, walnuts, raisins and throwing in a little cinnamon with vanilla is sheer perfection. And what makes these little bundles of flavor even better is they freeze well. So you know what that means enjoyment every morning without cooking and cleaning. You could not ask for anything any better, except maybe winning the lottery. Enjoy your win for today!
Soak for 6 minutes 1 cup bran buds in 1 cup of very warm buttermilk.
Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
Puree 2 large bananas that will equal 1 cup puree.
Measure 1/2 cup oil, add 1 large egg, and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
Measure 1 1/2 cups of flour and add 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon soda, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
Measure 1 cup raisins and 1 cup chopped walnuts.
Banana Nut Muffins with Bran from Kittencalskitchen
Yield 18 muffins
- 1 cup all-bran buds
- 1 cup of warm buttermilk (it may separate but do not worry)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup pureed banana ( 2-3 bananas)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line muffins pans with paper liners.
- Heat buttermilk in the microwave for about 40 seconds. The time will vary depending on the temperature of the buttermilk. It may separate, but will work fine.
- Place bran buds in a large bowl stir in warm milk. Let it stand about 6 minutes.
- Puree bananas. Set aside.
- Mix sugars together in a small bowl.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- After about 6 minutes add pureed bananas to bran cereal and buttermilk.
- Add the two sugars along with the egg, oil, and vanilla. Blend well.
- Gently mix in flour mixture being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Divide batter evenly among 18 muffins cups.
- Bake for about 22 minutes.
- These freeze well if you have any left over!