This is what my classes did for their last lab. Simple, quick, and somewhat healthy. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of students who really loved spinach. Spinach is one of the mega foods that is packed with nutrients. A plate of spinach might not be so appealing, but put it in a tortilla with cheese and it will win hearts every time!
Here’s how we put them together.
Spinach and Cheese Quesadillas
Yield: 6 servings
- Bag of spinach
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 6 flour tortillas
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil and quickly add spinach.
- Stir just until wilted. Set aside.
- Using an electric skillet preheat to 325 degrees.
- If using a large skillet, heat to medium heat.
- Brush tortillas with olive oil placing in hot skillet.
- Place a couple of tablespoons of sautéed spinach and couple of tablespoon of cheese on tortilla .(Some of my students added cooked chicken)
- Fold tortilla in half.
- Brown on both sides or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings such as jalapenoes, sour cream, or salsa.