You need these lemon bars in your life. Yes, you do! Make them and share with all your family and friends. They are the best ever! Aren’t they just gorgeous on this platter? I’ve been drooling over this recipe since I first saw it in Southern Living. When Spring peeked out a little a couple of months ago I felt the need for something lemony and served these to my book club. They flew off the platter! But, who could resist when I put the platter on the table right in front of everyone. You just want one more bite.
I think these are the perfect lemon bars. They have just the right amount of sweet and sour to satisfy. Be sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice. Bottled lemon juice will not work at all. So here you go one more perfect recipe that you will be making again and again.
The crust should look like this after cutting in the butter.
Butter, flour, powdered sugar pressed in pan
After crust is baked.
Pour filling in hot crust and bake.
Baked , cooled and cut.
Luscious Lemon Bars from Southern Living 2010
Yield: about 24 bars
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil or parchment paper, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil. I used parchment paper.
- Stir together 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. I used a glass to help press the mixture in the pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a large bowl until smooth; whisk in granulated sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Stir together baking powder and remaining 1/4 cup flour; whisk into egg mixture.
- Pour mixture over hot baked crust.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Lift from pan, using foil sides as handles.
- Cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- Remove foil, and cut into bars; sprinkle with powdered sugar.