These are perfect for Sunday’s Superbowl Game! They’re so cute and so good. Think spicy pizza bites, but better. Carter said, “This is in the top three Mrs. Lupo!” Now that’s good! Two years ago I was introduced to this variation and they were a hit. I wanted to try them again but with a little change-up. It worked well. If you are trying to make out a Superbowl menu make sure you serve these little cups. They are super easy and will be a party pleaser for sure.
Start with some spicy Italian sausage. You’ll only need one link or about 1/2 cup browned and drained. Drain a can Rotel tomatoes (chopped tomatoes with hot green chilies). Mix in a medium bowl sausage, tomatoes, 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. This mixture could be done ahead of time. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
For the cups use a can of Pillsbury biscuits (8 count). Use kitchen shears and cut the biscuits into 4 pieces. My students get a kick out of all the ways I can use my kitchen shears. I love them because you can take them apart and put them in the dishwasher. Or fool your students into thinking that you have the strength to just tear them apart with your bare hands. Ha!
Quickly flatten each piece to fit into a miniature muffin pan. I used a 24 count plus a 12 count pan just because I have them available. You may have to bake in two batches. If you have empty cups fill them at least 1/2 way with water to ensure even baking. Fill each cup with a heaping teaspoon of the sausage filling. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Deliciousness!!!
Bookmark this for your next party or just go ahead and cook them now. Add a tossed salad if it will make you feel better.
Italian Sausage Tomato Cups from Morgan and Lupo
Yield: 32 cups
- 1 – 8 count can Pillsbury Biscuits
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1/2 cup spicy Italian Sausage browned and drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Brown and drain Italian sausage.
- Drain Rotel tomatoes thoroughly.
- Mix sausage, tomatoes, cheese, mayonnaise, and seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Cut each biscuits into 4 equal pieces.
- Quickly flatten each biscuit to fit in miniature muffin pan. Place in pan. I used a nonstick pan, but if you don’t I would lightly grease the pan.
- Fill each cup with a heaping teaspoon of the filling.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- One Year Ago Hershey’s Chocolate Pudding
- Two Years Ago Dream Bars
- Three Years Ago Sausage Pinwheels
- Four Years Ago Chocolate Magic Bars
One response to “Italian Sausage Tomato Cups”
These look completely delicious. This is definitely a recipe i am going to look forward to trying in the future.