I can count the number of times on one hand that I’ve cooked or eaten butternut squash. Someone should have introduced me to this jewel of a soup a long time ago. I will be making this many times! It’s amazing both hot or cold. It’s restaurant good.
Sonja one of my fellow teachers, loves to cook. She and I share recipes and this is one of hers. I knew it was a hit when her son brought a cup of it to school for his girlfriend to taste. When does that ever happen?
Coconut milk where have you been all of my life? Mark Bittman thinks coconut milk should be a staple in everyone’s pantry. I bought a can and waited for the right recipe to appear and here it is. I really can’t explain the depth of flavors this soup has. Creamy, savory, and a little sweet all mixed in there in just the right proportions. The touch of lemon juice is the perfect ending. I took it a step further and added smoked crumbled bacon bits before serving. The hardest part of the recipe is peeling and cutting the squash. If you are not sure how to do it just google how to cut a butternut squash and there you go instant instructions.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large or 2 lb. butternut squash, cubed 1 inch
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 yukon gold or russset potato, cubed 1 inch
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can of good coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste ( I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt while sauteing the garlic and onion and added more at the end)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 slice of bacon crumbles for each bowl
- Heat oil on a medium high temperature. Cook garlic and onion for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add squash, carrots, potato, and stock. Cook for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add coconut milk.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. A blender can be used, but blend in small batches.
- Add the juice from 1 lemon.
- Top each bowl with bacon bits and chives.
- One Year Ago Caramel Pecan Brownies
- Two Years Ago Pralines and Cream Ice Cream
- Three Years Ago Waldrop’s General Store
- Four Years Ago Bright Day Banana Muffins