Salad has been my lunch life for about twenty years. That’s a long time! Why salad? It has been the easiest way for me to pack fresh vegetables into my diet every day. For as long as I have been teaching I have always packed my lunch. My routine has been and still is even though I am finished at noon everyday is to make three salads on Sunday night which includes whatever protein is available, baked ham, roasted turkey, grilled chicken, or canned tuna. Then on Wednesday night I make two more for the end of the week. Making them ahead of time keeps me out of the bag of chips or from the easy to make grilled sandwich. So by lunch I have usually had five servings of fruits and vegetables. So why don’t you try salad for lunch at least a month? Take the challenge. You’ll be healthier and a few pounds lighter!
This is one of my favorite salads. It is so easy to put together if you have grilled chicken in the freezer or you can use rotisserie chicken instead and keep some glazed walnuts or pecans on hand.
You’ll need your favorite greens, feta cheese, apples, craisins, and your favorite vinaigrette. That’s it! Salad restaurant style. Just a side note here: GI Joe was pleasantly surprised with this salad! Try it with your family and make them lovers of salad!
Salad with Grilled Chicken, Apples, and Glazed Walnuts
Yield 1 serving
- 1 small grilled chicken breast sliced
- Salad greens
- 1/2 cored and chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese, or more if you like
- 2-3 tablespoons craisins, more or less
- 6 glazed walnuts ( Recipe Here)
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette dressing
- Slice small grilled chicken breast.
- Core and chop 1/2 apple. I like Fuji apples.
- Place greens on plate.
- Top with Craisins, nuts, feta cheese, and apples.
- Top with dressing.
- Add slightly warmed grilled chicken.