I really do not know why I made this cake. After being stuck in the house for four days I guess it was just a case of cabin fever. Trust me on this one if you are watching your weight as I am make sure that you have more than two people to eat this cake. Oh My Gosh! It is so good! It’s not one of those elegant dessert cakes that you might serve to get the oohs and aahs as you put it on the table, but I can bet you money that everyone that has just a taste of this cake is going to thank you.
After one day this is the damage that GI Joe and I did to this cake. Remember that I don’t even like sweets that much.
If you like German Chocolate cake you are going to love this one. It is so easy to make and if you don’t care for coconut this is the cake for you! Again don’t blame me when you eat the whole thing! I did warn you.
Pecan Praline Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- heat butter and buttermilk over low heat just until butter is melted.
- Place in a mixing bowl and cool slightly.
- Add sugar and eggs; beat thoroughly.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture, beating well.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 min. ( I used a dark pan and reduced the heat by 25 degrees and cooked for only 25 min.)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Combine butter, sugar, soda, and buttermilk. and heat over low heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add pecans.
- Spread over hot cake in pan.
- Broil about 5 inches from heat for about 2 minutes or until the icing bubbles.
The Teacher Cooks