I really had a lot of fun making this layer cake for my classes. It is so easy to make and impresses everyone. They think that I should be some master baker making wedding cakes for royalty! Yes, that’s what a great recipe can do for you. It can make you into something that you really aren’t. This is the best chocolate layer cake ever. You can do this trust me.
I made this cake 7 times in one day. Be really careful when measuring the ingredients especially for the frosting. Just a little too much milk in the frosting can make it slide off the cake.
Frosting the first layer:
Adding the second layer and frosting the sides:
Frosting the top:
Hershey’s Chocolate Layer Cake from Hershey’s
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING (recipe follows)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. Line with waxed paper.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.
“PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.