Brownies are the easiest cookie to make, but they are also the easiest to wreck. It is very hard to judge doneness so many cooks including myself *ahem* will overcook them. Most of the recipes will be done when they start to pull away from the sides of the pan. This recipe has a gooey caramel center so it is harder to judge doneness. Just watch carefully and be ready to pull these out. When I read the recipe and saw that you cooked one layer for 25 minutes, added caramel and more brownie mix and cooked for an additional 30 minutes I said no way! The recipe fooled me. It is a fantastic moist and chocolatey brownie. One of the best I have ever had. Try these and you will never make brownies from a box again and you may even throw your old recipe away. They won the taste test with about 42 of my best tasters!
The original recipe calls for lining the pan with foil. Don’t use foil because the brownies will stick and you will have to peel it off with great difficulty. Parchment paper works like a charm. When adding the layer of caramel pour it in the center and then spread. Try to stay an inch away from the edges. The caramel will thin as it cooks and spread to the sides. The first time I made them I had to trim about an inch away from the edge because the caramel was really hard around the edges after baking. Be mindful of the cooking time. I always set my timer about 5 minutes early just in case my oven temperature is different from the test kitchen. These brownies are ooey gooey and must cool before cutting. I let mine cool overnight before taking them out of the pan. Just get ready for the compliments because you will be getting plenty when serving these sinful pieces of caramel, pecans, and chocolate! And what I love is they are easy!
Caramel-Pecan Brownies from Kraft
Yield 30 servings
- 4 squares Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 pkg. (14 oz.) Caramels
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups pecan halves, divided
- Line a 13 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper. DO NOT USE FOIL!!!
- In a large mixing bowl microwave chocolate and butter for 2 minutes or until butter melted.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add sugar and eggs. Mix well.
- Stir in flour until well blended. I did all the mixing by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Spread half the batter into the pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch.
- Microwave caramels and cream in a medium bowl for about 2 minutes or until caramels begin to melt.
- Stir until caramels are completely melted.
- Stir in 1 cup of pecan halves.
- Spread caramel mixture over brownie layer in the pan. Try not to go all the way to the edge. The caramel will spread as it cooks. If it is too close to the edge it may burn. The first time I made them. I just cut away the edges, but they are too good to waste!
- Cover with the remaining brownie batter.
- Top with the remaining nuts.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until top is firm to the touch. Be careful not to overcook.
- Cool in pan.
- Lift brownies out before cutting.