This has been one of my favorite salads since discovering it about six years ago. With corn and tomatoes at their peak the salad will be fantastic, but it is great in the winter using frozen corn and grape tomatoes. To me grape tomatoes are pretty good most anytime during the year. In fact that is what the original recipe calls for. I just like using some of the home-grown tomatoes from Waldrop’s that I truly love. All of these flavors just melt together corn, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, lime juice and cilantro. They just go together for a sumptuous salad that you will never forget. Don’t think just salad because it will go with most any main dish or I love it with fish tacos. YUM! Now pull out some of summer’s fresh corn and enjoy a real treat.
- 2 cups cooked corn, fresh or frozen ( fresh is best! ) about 4 ears
- 1 – 2 avocado, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 finely diced red onion ( I use my small food processor)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a 2 cup measure or a small bowl.
- Cook corn in boiling water for about 3 minutes.
- Remove corn from the cob with a sharp knife. I like to use a tube cake pan for this. Put the cob in the middle and the corn slides in the pan. Not as much mess.
- Combine the corn, avocado, tomatoes, and onion in a large glass bowl.
- Stir in dressing.
- I like to serve this warm, but it is great at room temperature or even the next day cold.